Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tuesday - Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

Corned beef and cabbage with root vegetables (recipe in the comments from March 17, 2008)
Grainy mustard and horseradish
Beer

Hot tea
Soda bread
______________________________________________________________
It's another year of our incredible crock pot corned beef. I just cannot believe how wonderfully this recipe comes together. This is far and away the most flavorful version of corned beef I have ever made and it is SO easy. We did have a mishap this year though. We bought a new crock pot early this summer because our old fell off the shelf where I was keeping it and the ceramic insert broke. So, this is the first time I have made this recipe in the new crock pot. Despite the new crock being the same volume as the old, it is narrower and taller and so the pot was "fuller". It was enough higher in the pot that I was worried it would take longer to cook, so I started it on high. Sadly, I was wrong and it all cooked faster than I expected, so I had to interrupt cooking, remove the veggies, and turn the meat to low. We plan to do a trial corned beef again soon to check this out. While all the shenanigans were a bit of a drag, the end product was AMAZING as usual. T loved it and we had a great family dinner tonight! Happy Day!

Note: Stay tuned - as the recipe indicates, this is the first of three meals made with the beef and broth from this dinner. Oh yum!

Prep Notes
Difficulty: Super easy
Chopping: Carrots, potatoes, onions, cabbage
Time: 20 minutes prep, 8-10 hours cooking (unattended), 15 minutes to cook the cabbage last minute (mostly unattended)
Make ahead: That's the beauty of it!

Reaction
J: "I think we may be slowly becoming Irish!"
M: "Faith and begorrah!"

No comments: