Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thursday

Polenta with spinach, black beans and goat cheese (recipe in the comments from February 18th, 2008)
Sliced oranges

Hot tea
C's birthday cake
_____________________________________________________________
As I said when we last had this recipe (just under a year ago) this is an very unusual meal that is also VERY speedy. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly this comes together and how unique the flavors are. I thought this would be a good meal to make for my lactose intolerant readers who were probably disappointed in last night's offering (is there lactose free cottage cheese or a substitute?). Also, we were excited to do this since we have some leftover extremely fancy goat cheese (a bucheron) from our holiday celebrations that we thought would be a great addition. Sadly, the fancy goat cheese was too overpowering (should I say stinky???) for the flavors. A mild goat cheese is best sprinkled on top. I'd also like to mention how much M and I like sliced fruit as a side dish for dinners. Lots of people think to have fruit with meals in the summer, but all seasons can be reasonable for fruit accompaniment, if you pick judiciously. I wouldn't have strawberries in January, but now is a great time for sliced oranges, apples, or pears. They're also great in salad to perk up dreary and cold days.

Prep Notes
Difficulty: Super easy
Chopping: Garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, oranges
Time: 20 minutes
Make ahead: The topping (spinach, black beans, etc) can be made long in advance and re-heated, but make the polenta just before serving.

Reaction
J: "Why don't sun dried tomatoes always taste like this?"
M: "Better without the stink."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There is Lactaid cottage cheese! As someone who has always had a place in my heart for cottage cheese, this is a saving grace. In my grocery store it is with the regular cottage cheese. A little more expensive, as is to be expected, but delicious in its non-lactoseness!

J said...

I have to tell mom! I planted that question for you, knowing you would read it :)