Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thursday

Egyptian edamame stew (recipe in the comments from May 20, 2008)
Kashi seven grain pilaf
Greek yogurt

Peppermint tea
______________________________________________________________
We love this meal, even though we have a lot of doubt as to its actual provenance. I have never eaten Egyptian food, but I don't imagine it's much like this. That said, this is a fantastic one dish meal - chock full of veggies and filling because of the edamame. We usually serve it over whole wheat cous cous, but saw the seven grain pilaf in the store and thought that would be a good twist. Neither of us is feeling top notch lately, and so a soothing stew seemed perfect. And in general it would have been except that the Kashi pilaf was crunchy. I don't mean pleasantly flavorful either - I mean unpleasantly textured. I cooked it for twice as long as the package suggested,and, while it was better than it seemed initially, I'm still not impressed. This is not a whole grain product that is going to go very far in this household :)

Prep Notes
Difficulty: Easy
Chopping: Onion, zucchini, garlic, cilantro
Time: 30 minutes
Make ahead: Absolutely, just make the pilaf (or whatever grain) last minute.

Reaction
J: "Excellent, but we'll do couscous next time."
M: "I disn't think the pilaf was *that* bad."

No comments: