Thursday, March 6, 2008

For those of you who don't know, I don't have a hugely sweet tooth. Yes, I like dessert, but it's not my favorite part of the meal. My dietary downfall, instead, tends to be salt. Doritos, anyone? That said, I have one serious sweet tooth issue: maple syrup. Yes, I am one of those people that likes to have some pancakes with my syrup. I pour it on oatmeal. I love a breakfast of hot, creamy polenta dripping with maple-y goodness. Luckily, I don't do any of this very often, so it's not really affecting my waistline. That said, I was unsurprisingly attracted to this article in the New York Times about the maple syrup harvest. Here's a meal description that defies imagination:

"The hourlong parade usually includes split-pea soup, pancakes, bacon and ham, pork rinds, omelets, eggs poached in syrup, baked beans, bread and pan drippings, pickled carrots and beets, maple-syrup pie and taffy — all washed down with an optional Molson."

Vacation plans in Quebec? I think so.

No comments: